The relationship we have with you is very important to us – but your data is equally important to you. So, it is important that you feel safe in allowing us to handle it.
Whether you are already happy with your data relationship with us, or you wish to change it in some way, we would first like you to peruse the following.
Protecting your privacy
We are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. This privacy notice aims to make everyone who interacts with us through our website www.yogawithmandm.com or otherwise during the course of our business – visitors, customers, members, influencers, supporters and suppliers – aware of the information that we may hold about you, how we use it, and what legal rights you have over it.
We may change this privacy notice from time to time by updating this page. This privacy notice does not apply to any third-party websites to which you may be directed from the official Yoga with Miti and Mehul website and we encourage you to read the privacy statements on the other websites you visit. Yoga with Miti and Mehul does not accept any responsibility or liability for the privacy practices of such third parties and your use of them is at your own risk.
Who we are, and what we do:
We are Miti and Mehul Shah, founders of Yoga With Miti and Mehul. We are yoga teachers and teacher trainers. We offer yoga and related services such as classes, workshops, retreats, etc that can help to improve your health and wellbeing.
What personal information do we collect about you?
We collect and process the following data from you which may include your personal information.
a) Information provided by you when you engage our services
You may do this by filling in paper or electronic forms when using or purchasing the services that we offer, on attending events, therapies or retreats, signing up to emails or publications, by interacting with us on social media, or contacting us with enquiries. Such information may include any of the following:
- Identity and contact information: including your name, address, date of birth, gender, email address and telephone number
- Personal information you share with us: including details of any medical conditions or injuries which affect your ability to participate in yoga classes, or any other information which you consider we should know or which you voluntarily share with us during a class or 1:1 or during a life coaching or yoga workshop. You may choose to tell us for example, about sensitive personal experiences, information about your mental health, your faith, your sex life, sexual orientation or disability.
- Audio visual or text content: including photos or video recordings of classes and workshops that we might use for demonstration or for marketing purposes. You can always opt out of any marketing communications that we send you (please see the Marketing and your rights section below for further detail). We will always make you aware of when a session is being recorded and will not publish any specifically identifiable photos of you if you tell us that you do not want us to. We will also sometimes share audio, video or text, e.g. in the form of the very kind testimonials you often leave on social media channels so that we can promote our brand.
- We may collect basic contact information from you when you attend an event or retreat so that we can invite you to future events/retreats (see the marketing section below). You may also wish to inform us of any specific dietary requirements and/or tell us about any disabilities you have so that we can make the reasonable adjustments you require to facilitate your attendance.
b) Automated Interactions
We will collect information about you only insofar as this is lawful and appropriate for one or more of the purposes described below.
What does Yoga with Miti and Mehul do with my personal information once collected and what does UK data protection law have to say about it?
UK data protection law specifies a limited number of grounds on which a business like ours is permitted to handle personal information. These grounds are known as the “legal bases for processing”.
We are legally required to let you know which of these bases we rely on.
We use the above information about you for one or more of the following purposes and legal grounds:
a) Contract – i.e. when we provide a service to you as a prospective or existing client
We use and retain your Personal information where we need to perform a Yoga with Miti and Mehul contract we are about to enter into or have entered into with you, such as:
- For registering you as a new client:
- for providing you the services
- for tailoring your 1:1s or other bespoke courses for you, e.g. in order to make reasonable adjustments if you have a disability;
- processing shipping details for delivery of hard copy resources if appropriate; and
- keeping track of contractual agreements.
b) Legitimate Interests (yours or ours)
Only in circumstances where these interests are not outweighed by the need to protect your privacy. For example:
- communicating with you about classes which you may be attending. This is helpful if there are changes to scheduled arrangements and to contact you in the event there is a problem with teaching;
- keeping track of the services you have been interested in/have subscribed to in order to understand your preferences and needs and to allow me to communicate with you concerning related new services that may be of interest;
- sharing inspirational, educational, philosophical or motivational teachings, which we consider to be useful. These may be in the form of written emails, newsletters, handouts, video links or other free media;
- using the lovely comments and testimonials that you give us to promote our services;
- responding to your enquiries; and
- keeping you updated on forthcoming events and news to do with yoga, workshops, courses or matters we deem related in some way. This may include commentary on things like seasonal events, news events and items of public interest.
c) Vital Interests
We may ask you for, or share your health information with e.g. in the unlikely event of a life threatening emergency while you are attending an in person class, workshop, event or retreat and we have to process your personal information in order to make sure you receive appropriate medical attention.
d) Compliance with a Legal Obligation
We have to keep some of your information for fulfilling our legal and accounting obligations, e.g. for tax matters, anti-money laundering, insurance purposes, fraud prevention and for legal reasons. This may involve disclosing your personal information to third parties as described below.
If we cannot lawfully handle your personal information on these or other permitted grounds, we may need to rely on having your consent in order to be able to do so. This might be the case where you have agreed to receive email updates from us (see the marketing section below for further detail), if we use audio or video footage or testimonials of you for promotional purposes e.g. on social media, or if we are dealing with personal information which falls into so-called “special categories”, which cover information that the law considers to be inherently sensitive, such as that relating to race/ethnicity, political opinions, health, religious or similar beliefs, sex life and biometrics. We do not typically provide our Services to children under the age of 16, but occasionally we may work with family members of our students. Such interactions will always take place after we have obtained the child’s and/or parents’ consent as appropriate.
You can withdraw your consent at any time after you have given it. This will not affect the prior use of that information but we will certainly respect your wishes going forwards. In certain situations, withdrawing consent might impact on our ability to offer you a specific service.
Where do we get your personal information from?
We generally get information directly from you for example:
- when you express an interest in or sign up to our yoga classes, courses, 1:1s, workshops or related events;
- when you attend an event;
- when you subscribe to receive news about upcoming events or other marketing communications;
- when you follow and engage with us or Yoga with Miti or Yoga with Mehul on social media; or
- when you make enquiries and request information from us about what we can offer.
However, depending on your circumstances and relationship with us, we may obtain it from a broad range of sources including:
- word of mouth;
- when someone introduces you to us (e.g. because they believe something we offer may interest or benefit you); and
- websites where you have made information about yourself publicly accessible, e.g. Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn, or other publicly available resources such as newspaper articles and blog posts.
Do we use your personal information for marketing purposes?
We will market our services and product offerings to you in two main ways. Either, because it is in our legitimate interests to do so (e.g. on an opt-out basis where you have previously requested/received similar services/products from us), or otherwise, if you are a new customer or we wish to contact you about a new, unrelated service, where we have your consent. We do not sell or rent personal information to third parties for their own marketing purposes.
Do we share your personal information with third parties?
We occasionally have to share, to a limited degree, your personal information with third party service providers or “data processors”, when we arew in need of their expertise. For example, when we need to engage them to:
- carry out work on our behalf, such as for tax or legal reasons;
- to help process your payment information; or
- to provide us with logistical or IT support such as event hosting, catering, web administration and e-marketing.
Zoom and Mailchimp are some of the third parties we currently contract with. If you would like to find out more about how they use your information, please refer to their respective privacy notices. We will do our best to keep this privacy notice updated so that we can keep you posted on what other types of suppliers we might use going down the line.
In all circumstances, we will only share information to the extent that we consider reasonably necessary to serve you in view of the legitimate business purpose as set out above, and maintain appropriate safeguards to ensure the security, integrity and privacy of the information that you have provided to us. In addition, we will take reasonable steps to ensure that the third parties to whom we entrust your personal information are willing and able to protect it.
On a personal front, any paper-based forms you submit to us will be securely locked away and electronic data will be kept securely on a password protected phone or personal computer and backed up to a safe external server.
What rights do I have concerning my personal information?
You have several rights in relation to your personal information under UK data protection law, the most relevant to our relationship are your right to ask me to:
1. provide a copy of your personal information (subject to the data protection rights of other people);
2. correct any inaccuracies or incompleteness in your personal information;
3. modify or withdraw your consent for the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information (see above);
4. delete or temporarily suspend the use of your personal information where there is no lawful justification for me to retain it or where we are trying to get to grips with the issue; and
5. the right to object to the processing of your information where Yoga with Miti and Mehul does this:
- for the purposes of its legitimate interests or those of a third party; or
- on the basis that it is acting in the public interest; or
- for direct marketing purposes.
If you lodge an objection on the last of these three grounds in point 5, we will simply stop processing your personal information for marketing purposes. In the other two cases, we will stop processing the relevant information unless it identifies compelling legitimate grounds for the processing which override your rights and interests or else, we need to process the information in connection with a legal claim.
How do you make a complaint to the ICO?
If you are unhappy with the way in which we are processing your personal information, please let us know, in person, via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or over the phone and we will do my best to resolve your queries.
Alternatively, if you do not agree with the way in which we have processed your information or responded to your concerns, you have a right to submit a complaint to the UK’s Information Commissioner (the ICO).
How long will we keep your personal information?
We will hold your personal information for as long as is necessary for the relevant service you have requested or as required by law, or for accounting or regulatory purposes, or as otherwise described in this privacy notice.
Changes to this privacy notice
This privacy notice may change from time to time in line with legislation or industry developments. We will not explicitly inform students or website users of these changes. Instead, we recommend that you check this page periodically for any policy changes.
Is your personal information transferred overseas?
The personal information that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside of the UK or the countries it considers to be adequate for data protection purposes. We will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that your information is treated securely and in accordance with this privacy notice and, to the extent that such transfer is within our control, with the relevant protections required by law in place.