- Stand with feet spread about twice the hip width apart.
- Turn your right foot out 90o such that if you were to draw a straight line from that foot towards the left foot at the back, it would dissect the left foot in half.
- Imagine that you are standing between two planes of glass that prevent you from bending forwards, backwards or twisting: you can only move laterally.
- Breathing in, lift your hands out to the sides until they are parallel to the floor.
- Breathing out, bend to your right, dropping your right hand down towards the mat and lifting your left hand upwards.
- Turn your head to look up towards the left hand.
- Hold for about 30 seconds, then breathing in, engage the abdominal muscles to lift yourself back up to standing. Allow the hands to relax down and centre your feet as you breathe out.
- Repeat on the left side.
- Gives a really good stretch to the side of the body.
- Opens the chest and energises the heart.
- Lengthens the spine.
- Strengthens the legs.
- Tones the abdomen and sides of the waist.
- Improves focus and concentration.
- Stimulates the lymphatic system and the kidneys, helping to detoxify the body.